Sunday, November 9, 2008

Guanajuato dogs

So, there are a lot of stray dogs running around the narrow, cobbled colonial streets of Guanajuato.

From my experience in the cities of Peru, I'd say this is pretty common in Latin America. Dogs run around everywhere. Messy, kinda mangy looking dogs. They're generally not mean, or menacing to people though. They've got their own thing going on. Lots to do. Trash to dig through, food to find, fleas to itch. (I'm sure some folks out there have got some Latin-American-stray-dog horror stories, but I haven't personally witnessed any.)

Guanajuato dogs, however, are special. A remarkable amount of these dogs are actually very pretty. I mean, these dogs look like purebreds of some kind. I really think if you caught one and tried to sell it you could make quite a bit of money in some markets. I've even seen a couple with cute-looking haircuts, but no collar... maybe they got lost? Maybe the well-to-do of Guanajuato aren't too good at holding on to their fancy dogs? Or perhaps the UNESCO regulations that keep eyesore McDonalds and WalMarts outside of Guanajuato city limits also apply to ugly and unfortunate-looking dogs? I just don't know.

The other striking thing is that some of these dogs are also incredibly nice! I've met several who just loooooooove people. One, nicknamed "guera" by my classmates at Academia Falcon because of her fair complexion, trotted right into our school and into our classrooms, curling up at professors' feet during their lectures, skipping through the hallways, then flopping on her back, head lolled adorably to the side, belly exposed and begging for scratches.

And of course I couldn't help but think of my own dog... my chick's best friend who would never abandon me to run off to another country! Ooooh! She followed me (and boyfriend at the time) in a similar manner, like she just decided that she belonged where we were. And she also happens to be an exceptionally beautiful dog.

Is Gobo a cousin of Guera? Is she secretly a Guanajuato dog?

No comments: